Thursday, August 13, 2020

aubergines

aubergine stedelijk museum Schiedam aubergine

Homegrown aubergines in the backyard.

Almost ready to be harvested. It's the first time this year that I have tried to cultivate an aubergine plant in my garden. After years of tomato- and pepper plants, I wanted to try something different and this vegetable plant turns out to be a good choice.

The deep purple veggies have grown so fast during the past tropical weeks. It was interesting to monitor the growth of the eggplant closely and to see how the attractive lilac flowers turned into aubergines.

It reminded me of the artistic aubergine paintings by Erik Mattijssen from an exhibition a year ago. The paintings are so colorful and inspiring. The Pacifico painting from 2009, with eggplants in food cans, was my favorite masterpiece.

If only i would have planted the plant in a tin... I have to remember this for next year.

Next week I'm going to try the Zaalouk recipe, a delicious Moroccan aubergine salad with eggplant as the main ingredient.

1 comment:

  1. that eggplant painting is indeed a masterpiece? Do you watch the british Sky TV show Portrait or LAndscape Artist of the Year? Last season on youtube. So good!

    ReplyDelete